As winter approaches, cockroaches may try to find shelter in your home. Persistent and agile, dirty and foul, cockroaches or house roaches are common household pests that spread disease and are just plain gross. Keeping a home tidy and dry, free of trash and moisture can go a long way in averting a cockroach infestation. Here are some ways to prevent a roach infestation.
- If you notice cockroach droppings, you can schedule an inspection by professional pest exterminators. Roach droppings are small and look like ground coffee or black pepper. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if you are dealing with roach droppings or plant pollen. You can set a few glue traps on the kitchen or storeroom floor to confirm a roach infestation. The more droppings you notice in one place, the more localized the infestation. You should target these areas with treatments and pest control.
- Single roaches seldom emit odor, but a family of these insects does create a foul smell in the vicinity. If you suspect the foul smell in the air is unmistakably due to a roach infestation, call the exterminators as they would be equipped to handle this problem.
- Another sign that you may be dealing with a roach problem is the discovery of egg casings. These hold numerous eggs inside and those of German cockroaches have the greatest potency. These egg casings are also called ootheca and tend to be round and brown in appearance. Some kinds of roaches keep their eggs with them until they hatch and hide them in corners tucked away!
- The cockroaches hatch when they are very small. The outer layer of their skin does not stretch and is shed after some time. Most roaches shed this nymph skin on the floor indicating that an entire brood is nearby.
- Cockroaches are nocturnal creatures, but an influx of these pests can also keep them busy in daytime. If you spot these running around in the day typically, there are so many of them that some got pushed out of their resting places.
If all or some of these signs apply to you, you are in for some unhealthy and unpleasant surprise. It’s important that you do not panic and deal with these possible infiltration warnings with a heavy hand. Scurry to bring in the best exterminators to your home and force these winged insects out of their hallowed shelters inside your home.
Call the experts at Brothers Pest Control!