Summers are a big season for bugs- especially when a troop of ants invade your kitchen and living areas through points of access. But you can keep ants away naturally! Some of these measures mentioned here are deterrents and will work well if there is a mild infestation.
- Try peppermint as a natural insect repellent. Place the mint oil at access points around your home as a natural remedy against an infestation. Ants detest the smell and your home will emit odors that are fresh and bright! You can add the drops of peppermint oil using a cotton ball and wipe clean the suspected areas. You can also place drops of mint oil in the cabinets.
- Using a mixture of vinegar and water and spraying it on ants often worksw wonders. Spray the mixture on your windowsills and doorways and cracks from where ants usually enter the home.
- Just like vinegar, lemon juice made from ripened lemons can destroy the scent trails of ants. Try mixing a solution of 3 parts juice and one-part water and spray it along the perimeter of your home or where you spot ants.
- You can use cinnamon powder effectively as well, to curb an ant infestation. Ants inhale cinnamon only to die afterwards. It suffocates them and destroys the ant trails. Sprinkle cinnamon powder on the ants’ path and around the openings through which these insects enter your home. Cinnamon oil also works effortlessly to repel ants widely.
- Ants hate the smell of cayenne pepper. Black pepper works well too by creating a pepper mound in front of an opening or crevice. Pepper infused with water can also be sprayed on an ant trail and this will deter ants from returning to the house.
- Food grade diatomaceous earth is a wonderful ant repellent that is most effective in killing ants immediately. This powder is the fossilized remains of oceanic phytoplankton. You can gently sprinkle a thin layer under your fridge and cabinets, in and around garbage cans and nooks and crannies where ants appear.
If all these methods fail, you may need to call professional exterminators who may go the chemical way to annihilate ant colonies. Brothers Pest Control will get your ant problem under control. We offer complete removal of ants and will help you combat these invaders this summer.
Give us a call at (813) 500-4735 or contact us here on the website.